67 West Street, Suite 403
Brooklyn, New York 11222
609 Tennessee Ave.
Charleston, West Virginia 25302
Impact WV Fellow Job Description— Interactive Innovation Fellow at MESH Design & Development
MESH | Design and Development is a full-service communication design studio building compelling, impactful brands, communication tools, and digital platforms for clients across the country. This means we help people communicate their ideas, from start to finish, through design and computer programming. Our favorite ideas are about starting new things, or making things more equal, or about telling stories that don’t get heard as much as we think they should. We like ideas that spread equality, healthy living, creative entrepreneurship, playful education, creative technology, local economies, and cheer. We work for the mom-and-pops, the one-person shops, the new-kids-on-the-block: innovative companies changing the way we do business, and can-do organizations working to scale up their impact on the world.
We are a small team of big thinkers working in two awesome American cities. MESH’s main office is located in the growing Elk City arts district of Charleston, West Virginia, in our recently-renovated industrial storefront studio space. We have a second studio in Brooklyn, New York.
As the Interactive Innovation Fellow at MESH, a typical day might include the following:
- Design and code an interactive mockup for a kids education game, a local initiative, or a healthcare tool
- Participate in a team critique or brainstorm on a new website project
- Review for Quality Assurance (QA) on responsive websites in their staging environment
- Develop User Personas for clients
- Analyze, and improve, web usability of our products based on user types
- Interview a client about their story, problems, and vision
- Write and document everything, all the time, for yourself and your collaborators
- Support a Discovery Brainstorm Workshop with a client or group
This job might be for you if:
- You are passionate about working with, and for, people.
- You are a problem solver and a systems thinker.
- Your left and right brain are constantly chatting with one another.
- You are positive and as high energy as we are.
- You communicate clearly and can be an active participant and contributor to team meetings, brainstorms, critique, and collaborations.
- You love keeping up with web and digital technologies, and have a passion for the ever changing digital world we live in.
- You are detail oriented and organized.
- You like to analyze and break down digital interfaces on any device that you touch.
- You are a great listener and not afraid to ask questions.
- You are an ideator and an implementer – you just can’t stop making things.
To land this gig, you need to have experience or skills in some of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in a graphic design, computer science or other related field
- Experience designing or developing web / digital interfaces across multiple platforms.
- Experience working with cross discipline teams
- Experience with wordpress content management systems
- Experience with modern web design and development workflows
- Experience with version control (git, etc.) and CSS preprocessors (LESS, SASS, etc.)
- Experience in Adobe Software (photoshop, illustrator, and indesign) and Sketch
- Understanding of visual systems design and graphic languages
- Strong research and problem solving skills
- Strong writing skills
- Knowledge of human-centered and design thinking methodologies
- Photography, videography, and other new media skills an awesome bonus
Rotate your device for best experience!